Queensridge Court, Queensway, Oldbury, B68
2 bedroom Apartment for sale: Queensridge Court, Queensway, Oldbury, B68
- SPACIOUS TWO BEDROOM THIRD FLOOR RETIREMENT PROPERTY
- 24 HOUR ‘ON SITE’ EMERGENCY CALL FACILITY
- SITUATED ON A COMPLEX WITH A HOST OF FACILITIES
- LIFT IN BLOCK AND STAIRLIFT ON STAIRCASE
- 75% SHARED OWNERSHIP
- 55 YEARS OR OVER AGE REQUIREMENT
A spacious two bedroom retirement apartment situated on the third floor. The property is situated on a complex with a host of facilities including 24 hour on site emergency call facility, residents lounge, dining facilities, hair salon, laundrette, communal gardens.
Communal hall, lift or stairs to upper floors, communal landing area.
Reception hall, open plan living room/kitchen, principle bedroom one with ensuite shower/wet room, further bedroom (or dining room). 55 year age requirement, 75% share is being sold, the remaining 25% share owned by Housing 21 a registered Housing association.
The accommodation is accessed via the ground floor level at the main entrance via the communal hall with staircase off.
Front door opening onto Flat 79 Queensridge Court.
RECEPTION HALL: (Inner)
Wood effect vinyl floor finish, access to roof space, thermostats to wall, emergency pull cord system.
STORE CUPBOARD: (Inner)
Wood effect laminate floor finish.
CLOAKS CUPBOARD: (Inner) with coat hooks.
LOUNGE/KITCHEN: 3.25m x 7.30m (maximum overall measurements)
Vinyl floor finish, base units with cupboards and drawers, complementary worktops, bowl and half single drainer stainless steel sink with mixer tap, tiled splash backs to worktops, ‘four’ ring electric hob, cooker hood above, ‘Zanussi’ cooker, recess for fridge freezer, plumbing for washing machine, storage cupboards at high level.
Thermostat to wall, two telephone points, television points, wood effect vinyl floor finish, double glazed double doors opening onto ‘Juliet’ balcony, double glazed windows.
BEDROOM: (Front) 2.83m x 5.08m
Wood effect vinyl floor finish, double glazed window, fitted wardrobe, television point, telephone point, thermostat to wall.
Door opening onto:
SHOWER/WET ROOM: 1.82m x 2.81m
W.C. with low level flush, pedestal wash hand basin with mixer tap, mirror to wall, shaver light and shaver point, mirrored cabinet to wall, towel rail, heated towel rail, shower area which is tiled to walls, shower curtain, hand rail, seat and shower. Emergency pull cord.
BEDROOM TWO/DINING ROOM: (Front) 2.96m (plus door recess) x 2.58m
Double glazed window, telephone point, television point, thermostat to wall.
We are verbally advised that the property is leasehold for a term of 125 years from 01/01/2011. A 75% share is being sold a remaining 25% share owned by housing 21, a registered housing association. The agent has not checked the legal documents to verify the leasehold status of the property. The buyer has advised to obtain verification from their solicitor or surveyor.
Underfloor heating and hot water are provided by means of a central gas fired boiler with each apartment having individual temperature control. The Agents have not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or Surveyor.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS :
All items unless specifically referred to in these sales particulars are expressly excluded from the proposed sale. However, fitted carpets, curtains and certain other items may be taken at a valuation to be agreed.
The service charge is levied in respect of direct staff for repairs of common parts/ communal areas, garden and cleaning.
The vendor has advised us that the property is subject to the following charges: service charge £232.61 per calendar month, utility charge, fuels and water £39.65 per month, support charge of £33.30 per month and core charge per week (amount to be confirmed). Housing support services will be discussed with Housing 21 at the interview an assessment made of the level of service required and charge details issued. Service charges, fuel charges and housing support services are subject to review. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their solicitor or surveyor. Please note all charges are subject to change.
APPROVAL OF PROSPECTIVE PURCHASER
The purchaser is to approved by Housing 21, approval is given by the court manager this is a two way process whereby information about the scheme, the housing support service and service charge are discussed with the prospective purchaser.
Strictly by prior appointment with agents.
Money Laundering Regulations –
In order to comply with Money Laundering Regulations, all prospective purchasers are required to provide the following - 1. Satisfactory photographic identification. 2. Proof of address/residency. 3. Verification of the source of purchase funds including bank statements for deposits in order to purchase and copy of mortgage agreement in principle from the appropriate lender. In the absence of being able to provide appropriate physical copies of the above, Scriven & Co reserves the right to obtain electronic verification of identity.
Extra services -
By law, the agent must tell the client if the agent or any connected person intends to earn any commission or any other fees from offering or referring other services to the client or buyer. If the agent or any connected person earns money from any of these services or referrals the agent or the connected person would keep this commission or fee. Part of the payment for these extra services will be paid to the agent as a result of the referral.
Scriven & Co offers the following services and has the following referral arrangements in place:
Scriven & Co routinely refers sellers (and buyers) to Infinity Financial Advice.
It is the clients’ or buyers’ decision whether to choose to deal with Infinity Financial Advice.
Should the client or a buyer decide to use Infinity Financial Advice the client or buyer should know that Scriven & Co receive a payment from Infinity Financial Advice equating on average to a figure in the order of £200 per referral.
The agent routinely refers sellers (and buyers) to Warren’s removals and storage it is the clients’ or buyers’ decision whether to choose to deal with Warren’s removals and storage.
Should the client or a buyer decide to use Warren’s removals and storage the client or a buyer should know that the agent receives a referral fee to the value of £50 from them for recommending a client or buyer to them.
Blackstone Estate Agents
Tel: 01202 582222